Monday, January 21, 2013

Wings of Hope Project



This year, I am collecting Thinking of You cards, in order to give them out at local nursing homes . During last year, my grandma stayed in several nursing homes and I noticed that there were many patients that didn't get visits from their family members or their friends. I decided to try and make a difference in their lives in some way. I began thinking about collecting Thinking of You greeting cards to give out to each and every patient.

Place we chose

As the Founder of The Laugh at Cancer Support Community, I called several local nursing homes and explained what I wanted to do. Finally, I found a small one that usually has about 120 patients on any given day. The nursing home facility is named Governors Creek and it is located in Green Cove Springs, Florida. My grandmother stayed in this nursing home several times, so I got to know some of the people who work there.

Why we want to help

During Christmas time, I donated fleece throw blankets and Christmas cards to this nursing home. The patients were so grateful to know that someone truly cares about them, especially the ones who have no one that visits them. So, the activities director Mrs. Rita and I spoke about possibly gathering up Thinking of You Cards about every three months. This way, together we can make a difference in the lives of those that are living at the nursing home fulltime or those who are being treated for a short time.

(Read More)

No comments: