Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Journey to a Healthier Me

 
As a small child, I was a tall and skinny little girl with dreams of becoming a professional dancer or a famous children's author. However, as I became a teenager, I began to slowly putting weight due to the big portions served at each meal. My entire family was considered to be obese and overweight, but my family did not alter the way the food was prepared. My grandmother always made several types of southern style comfort foods, as well as fatty foods.

Wearing plus size clothing


I began to wear plus size clothing at age fourteen, which was embarrassing for me since my classmates made fun of how fat I was every day. I became extremely insecure about my weight and was being bullied, which caused me to eventually drop out of high school. My first job was at a local McDonald's in the Orange Park Mall, but the manager could not find a 2X uniform to fit me. Two months later, I had to have my manager order me a new uniform in the size 3X.

Having three children

My weight continued to go up and down, which frustrated me because I could lose weight but I could not keep it off. After giving birth to my son who weighed 11 lbs and 10 ounces, I was able to lose the weight and keep it off for a few years. Then, I got married and learned that I was pregnant with my beautiful daughter, who weighed 10 lbs and 10 ½ ounces at birth. Additionally, I learned that I had Gestational diabetes, which played a role in having my second son a month early, who was my smallest baby at 6 lbs and 10 ounces.

(Read More)

No comments: